About Us

Chris and Dennis are traveling around the country seeing the sights and occasionally volunteering at select locations. We avoid the interstate as much as we can and tend to stop for squirrels and shiny objects.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Our first rally

IMG_20160619_080533562_HDRIt wasn't so long ago I wrote about community. Oh how little I knew then and how much I've learned since. (This begs one to wonder what I have missed that will jump up and bite me later.)

Just outside Newport Oregon is the Thousand Trails Whaler's Rest RV Resort; the site for this month's gathering of the (hang on, its a mouth full) Lewis & Clark Thousand Trails (TT, not to be confused with travel trailer) chapter of the Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA). The group consists of folks who are members of FMCA and TT who also enjoy or live in the Pacific Northwest. Chris and I have been members of Thousand Trails and the FMCA since we started RV'ing and since we've always enjoyed the ocean coasts of Washington and Oregon it was pretty much a no brainer we would end up with this group. I must say, after spending just a few days with these folks I do wonder why it took us so long.

IMG_20160618_180952693Talking to Roger, the rally host, I learned attendance was lighter than normal this month as several members are in caravan to Alaska and there is a big FMCA rally in Albany Oregon next week. Still, all things considered there are 17 of us in this group swapping travel stories, enjoying good food and pummeling each other over board games. I don't know about you but I can say I'm conflicted. After years of in the trenches competition of one type or another I find it very sobering how a sweet, soft spoken lady can look you straight in eye with a gentle smile that makes you feel all warm and cozy while stripping you of your hard earned points and sending you back to start.

All without a shred of decency or mercy.

Multiple times.

What's the phrase about age and experience over youthful enthusiasm?

Up until now Chris and I have traveled solo and once setup at a park or site have been pretty much left to ourselves (except when camp hosting). It has been a welcome change to arrive at a park and to be on the lookout for fellow members knowing we'll have something in common to break the ice. Because this rally has been small, there are a whole bunch of friends out there that we just haven't met yet.

100_0884

This morning the rally broke up and folks began heading their separate directions. For the majority it will be a short trip up the road to Albany and the big FMCA get together. For Chris and I, we'll hang out here in the park one more day then we'll be heading to Seaside Oregon. We visited there just last year but it was in the fall with all the rain. What a difference it has been with days of glorious sunshine!

I think I'll even go fly a kite.

No comments:

Post a Comment